Interpol targets 55 suspects using social network sites for child sex abuse images

May 23, 2012

CNN on May 22, 2012 released the following:

“By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) — An Interpol investigation into social networking groups exchanging child abuse material has targeted 55 key suspects in 20 countries, including the United States, and 12 children have been identified and removed from harm, the agency said Tuesday.

An unspecified number of the suspects have been arrested, said Interpol, the world’s largest international police organization.

The international operation, which targeted child sexual abusers trading online images, identified suspects in 19 other countries: Australia, Bosnia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, England, Finland, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, Norway, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, The Netherlands, Tunisia, Turkey, and Venezuela, Interpol said.

The covert online investigation began in October 2010 in New Zealand, where authorities alerted Interpol’s crimes against children team after discovering Facebook, Socialgo and grou.ps were being used to exchange significant amounts of “abusive and exploitative pictures,” Interpol said in a statement.

Working with U.S. authorities, the Interpol inquiry found about 80 groups “engaged in the display or distribution of previously seen and unseen child sexual abuse images,” Interpol said.

Facebook officials assisted the investigation after authorities identified key targets and their associated groups, Interpol said.

Maarten Quivooy, general manager of New Zealand’s Regulatory Compliance Operations, said the Internet destroys jurisdictional boundaries and that protecting children is now a global responsibility.

“Trading in or viewing these images is … offending because it involves real children often being abused both in real time and over time, and when these images of children being sexually abused are released onto the Internet, they live on forever,” Quivooy said in a statement.

“Terms such as kiddiporn and child pornography make the physical sexual abuse of a child appear consenting. No child is capable of consenting to sexual activity — therefore all sexual depiction of children is abuse,” he said.

Mick Moran, the head of Interpol’s crimes against children unit, said the operation highlighted international cooperation.

“While disrupting these networks is a significant part of the investigation, what is more important is that innocent children and in some cases babies have been rescued from physical abuse,” Moran said in a statement.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Director John Morton said his agency will “work tirelessly with our international law enforcement partners to protect children wherever they live and to bring justice to criminals wherever they operate.”

The 55 suspects allegedly created groups that posted images of children under age 13 being abused, Interpol said.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition Defense, OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal, International Criminal Court Defense, and US Seizure of Non-Resident, Foreign-Owned Assets. Because we have experience dealing with INTERPOL, our firm understands the inter-relationship that INTERPOL’s “Red Notice” brings to this equation.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

————————————————————–

International criminal defense questions, but want to be anonymous?

Free Skype Tel: +1.202.470.3427, OR

Free Skype call: mcnabb.mcnabbassociates

           Office Locations

Email:


Painting stolen by Nazis to be auctioned off by heirs

April 19, 2012

Tallahassee on April 18, 2012 released the following:

“The 400-year-old Cristo Portacroce (Christ Carrying the Cross) painting that was stolen more than 70 years ago from its owners in Nazi-occupied France during World War II was handed back today.

The heirs of original owner Federico Gentili di Giuseppe [] will put the painting up on the auction block come June.

Corinne Hershkovitch, attorney for the di Giuseppe heirs, said the painting is estimated to be worth nearly $3 million and will be auctioned off in New York.

Morning Update
The United States Attorney’s Office, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Homeland Security Investigations, Interpol and representatives of the Gentili heirs will attend a ceremony at 1 p.m. at the Federal Courthouse downtown.

The 400-year-old Cristo Portacroce (Christ Carrying the Cross) painting was stolen more than 70 years ago from its owners in Nazi-occupied France during World War II.

Today it will be formally returned to representatives of the family of Federico Gentili di Giuseppe.

The painting was stolen by Nazi soldiers during the takeover of Paris in 1940. Homeland security agents seized the painting on loan to the Brogan Museum in Tallahassee from Italy last November after after learning that the family had been seeking its return.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Wanted Brazilian national deported from U.S.

March 28, 2012

The Bridgeport News on March 27, 2012 released the following:

“A Brazilian national living in Bridgeport, who was wanted in his home country for his involvement in a double homicide, was turned over to Brazilian law enforcement authorities in Rio De Janeiro on March 22.

He was removed from the United States by officers with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO). This individual was originally identified after ERO obtained a law enforcement tip from the Bridgeport Police Department.

Isaias Goncalves Dos Santos, 31, was arrested by ERO officers in Bridgeport Jan. 31. He remained in ERO custody until his removal last Thursday.

The Bridgeport Police Department had notified ERO that they suspected Dos Santos, who had an Interpol Red Notice out for his arrest, was living in Bridgeport.

According to the Interpol Red Notice, Dos Santos allegedly devised a plan that executed the mayor of São Sebastião do Maranhão, Minas Gerais, Brazil. Mayor Gomes Gildeci Sampaio and his friend were both killed in the kitchen of the mayor’s home on Oct. 13, 2009. Interpol and HSI’s assistant attaché in Brasilia, Brazil, confirmed the biographical details and photographic facial identifiers with Brazilian authorities, which confirmed that Dos Santos was indeed wanted by their government.

An Interpol Red Notice is used to alert law enforcement agencies in member countries that arrest warrants have been issued and extradition will be sought for the fugitives. Being the subject of this type of notice is not a presumption of guilt. Interpol is the world’s largest international police organization with 190 member countries. It serves as a facilitator of international police cooperation.

“Thanks to our excellent partnership with the Bridgeport Police Department, we have ensured that this individual will be prosecuted for his alleged crimes in Brazil,” said Dorothy Herrera-Niles, field office director for ERO Boston who oversees ERO throughout New England. “His arrest and removal should serve as a reminder to foreign fugitives who mistakenly believe they can elude justice by fleeing to this country. ICE will continue to work closely with its foreign law enforcement counterparts not only to ensure that criminals are held accountable for their actions, but to safeguard the rights of law-abiding citizens here and overseas.””

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.