ICC seeks forensic proof of death before withdrawing Gaddafi arrest warrant

October 24, 2011

Guardian on October 21, 2011 released the following:

By: Julian Borger

“International criminal court turns its attention to pursuing other Libyan regime members

The international criminal court has said it would not withdraw its arrest warrant for Muammar Gaddafi until it has forensic proof that he is dead.

In practice, the ICC and Interpol changed the focus of their attention to the two other regime members facing arrest warrants for crimes against humanity: Gaddafi’s son, Seif al-Islam, and his intelligence chief, Abdullah al-Senussi, whose whereabouts were the subject of conflicting reports.

An ICC spokesman, Fadi El-Abdallah, said that some form of DNA evidence taken from Gaddafi’s body would probably be necessary to close the case, and it was up to the new authorities in Tripoli to provide that evidence to the court.

As one possible precedent, he mentioned the case of Raska Lukwiya, a commander of the rebel Lords Resistance Army in Uganda indicted for war crimes and crimes against humanity in 2005, who was killed in combat in 2007. His identity was confirmed by the help of Dutch forensic scientists.

In the case of Libya, the National Transitional Council had vowed to try Gaddafi and members of his regime inside the country, but there were some reports yesterday that at least one other ICC suspect, Senussi, had fled in Niger. That country’s foreign minister Mohammed Bazoum, has said that his government had been told by unnamed western nations that Senussi had crossed into the sparsely inhabited north of Niger. Other reports said that the intelligence chief, who is also Gaddafi’s brother-in-law, had been captured in Libya.

There were also conflicting accounts over whether Seif al-Islam had been captured, killed or was also trying to leave the country. Interpol appealed for him to turn himself in, and offered to guarantee safe passage to The Hague.

The ICC chief prosecutor, Luis Moreno Ocampo, is still investigating claims of atrocities committed in Libya, but officials said it was possible it would look into the circumstances of the deaths of Gaddafi and his Mutassim.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


INTERPOL and ICC urge Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi to turn himself in − call for his safe passage to The Hague

October 21, 2011

INTERPOL on October 20, 2011 released the following:

Colonel Gaddafi death increases pressure on Red Notice subject who remains at large

LYON, France – Following the confirmation by the National Transitional Council of Colonel Gaddafi’s death, INTERPOL and the International Criminal Court (ICC) have called for Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi to turn himself in. Both institutions will coordinate with INTERPOL member countries to provide safe passage to The Hague where he is wanted for crimes against humanity, including murder and persecution.

INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble and the Prosecutor of the ICC Luis Moreno-Ocampo today urged the former Libyan leader’s son Saif to give himself up and for the national authorities of the country where he is hiding to guarantee and facilitate his safe transfer to the Netherlands to face justice.

“Following my discussions with Prosecutor Moreno-Ocampo, we agree that it is in the best interests of Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi as well as in the interests of justice that he surrender himself as swiftly as possible and face the charges levelled against him,” said Secretary General Noble.

“Since our assistance was first requested, INTERPOL has been cooperating with both the ICC and the National Transitional Council of Libya to ensure that those individuals wanted for a range of serious crimes are located, apprehended and brought to justice,” added the INTERPOL Chief.

“Colonel Gaddafi will not be able answer to the crimes levelled against him, which makes it even more important that those who were part of his inner circle and who remain at large are captured and face their accusers so that the rule of law can run its course.

“We therefore call on all member countries to work with the ICC and INTERPOL to see that Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi is safely delivered to The Hague once he surrenders,” concluded the leader of the world police body.

INTERPOL’s Fugitive Investigative Support unit based at the General Secretariat headquarters in Lyon, France will continue to liaise closely with the ICC, the INTERPOL National Central Bureau in Tripoli and all other 187 member countries to locate the other remaining Red Notice subjects.

INTERPOL’s Command and Coordination Centre remains available 24 hours a day/7 days a week to facilitate any communications between Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi or any person sought for arrest by the ICC and the relevant law enforcement authorities.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


INTERPOL issues Red Notice for arrest of Muammar Gaddafi at request of International Criminal Court

September 9, 2011

INTERPOL on September 9, 2011 released the following:

Issuance is first step to INTERPOL formally recognizing Transitional National Council as leading Libya

LYON, France – INTERPOL has issued Red Notices for Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi, his son Saif Al-Islam Gaddafi and former director of military intelligence Abdullah Al-Senussi after the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court (ICC), Luis Moreno-Ocampo, requested the world police body to issue internationally wanted persons notices against the Libyan nationals for alleged crimes against humanity, including murder and persecution.

The publication of INTERPOL Red Notices for the three men is part of INTERPOL’s collaboration with the Office of the Prosecutor of the ICC to assist cooperating member countries in their efforts to enforce the arrest warrants issued by the ICC.

The Red Notices have been circulated to all of INTERPOL’s 188 member countries and include essential identifying and judicial information.

In addition to the publication of the Red Notices, INTERPOL is offering the full support of its Command and Coordination Centre and asking its member countries to take all measures consistent with their national laws to help the ICC locate and apprehend Gaddafi.

“Prosecutor Moreno-Ocampo’s request for INTERPOL Red Notices will significantly restrict the ability of all three men to cross international borders and is a powerful tool to help in their location and arrest,” said INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble.

“As far as INTERPOL’s General Secretariat headquarters is concerned, Muammar Gaddafi is a fugitive whose country of nationality and the International Criminal Court want arrested and held accountable for the serious criminal charges that have been brought against him.

“INTERPOL will cooperate with and assist the ICC and Libyan authorities represented by the Interim Transitional National Council of Libya to apprehend Muammar Gaddafi,” added Secretary General Noble.

The publication of INTERPOL Red Notices for Gaddafi and the other two Libyan nationals will see INTERPOL’s specialized Fugitive Investigation Support unit at its General Secretariat closely liaise with its National Central Bureaus worldwide to pool and update all relevant intelligence to ensure that they are located, arrested and surrendered to the ICC.

“Arresting Gaddafi is a matter of time. By requesting an INTERPOL Red Notice the ICC ensures that the arrest warrant for Gaddafi is in the hands of law enforcement around the world,” said Prosecutor Moreno-Ocampo.

Since INTERPOL and the Office of the Prosecutor of the ICC signed a cooperation agreement in 2004, INTERPOL has worked closely with the ICC. In addition to the Red Notices now issued for these three Libyan nationals, there are currently seven valid Red Notices issued at the request of the ICC.

Since March 2011, through the publication of Orange Notice global alerts against Colonel Gaddafi and other Libyan nationals, including members of his family and close associates, INTERPOL has been warning member states of the danger posed by the movement of these individuals and their assets following the sanctions established by United Nations Security Council resolutions 1970 and 1973 (2011).”

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share


ICC Prosecutor Seeks an INTERPOL Red Notice for Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi, his son Saif al-Islam, and Intelligence Chief Abdullah al-Senussi

September 8, 2011

Reuters on September 8, 2011 released the following:

“AMSTERDAM, Sept 8 (Reuters) – The International Criminal Court prosecutor said on Thursday he is asking Interpol to issue red notice arrest warrants for Libya’s Muammar Gaddafi, his son Saif al-Islam, and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi.

The ICC issued arrest warrants in June for all three for crimes against humanity.

ICC prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said he wants Interpol to issue a red notice to arrest Muammar Gaddafi for the alleged crimes against humanity of murder and persecution.

“Arresting Gaddafi is (a) matter of time”, he said. (Reporting by Roberta B. Cowan and Ivana Sekularac; Editing by Sara Webb)”

Currently, the International Criminal Court (ICC) has seven individuals listed on the online public database for having an INTERPOL red notice.

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share