Gadhafi’s son challenges Interpol warrant

November 2, 2011

CNN on November 2, 2011 released the following:

“From Nic Robertson, CNN

(CNN) — One of slain Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi’s surviving sons is challenging an Interpol arrest warrant on the grounds that it is politically motivated and was sought by a new Libyan leadership that lacks legitimacy, a lawyer for Saadi Gadhafi said Wednesday.

Through his lawyer, the younger Gadhafi previously denied allegations in the Interpol warrant issued in late September that accused him of “misappropriating properties through force and armed intimidation when he headed the Libyan Football Federation.”

Gadhafi is in Niger. His father and three other brothers have been killed and another brother remains in hiding, while his other siblings escaped to Algeria during the Libyan conflict.

Nick Kaufman, Gadhafi’s lawyer, told CNN that he asked the Interpol secretary general to revoke the arrest warrant — known as a “red notice” — on grounds that it violates two articles of the Interpol constitution.

Kaufman said the red notice violates Article 3 because the decision to issue the red notice was purely political as Interpol “knows or ought to know” that Libya’s National Transitional Council “is purging the Gadhafi family in persecutory circumstances.”

“It is also a decision taken in the full knowledge that the NTC has no functioning judicial system to speak of which can ensure a fair trial,” Kaufman said. Moammar Gadhafi was captured and killed by opposition forces last month.

In addition, Kaufman said, the red notice violates Article 4 because the NTC “does not have a legitimate representative body at Interpol” with the authority to request a red notice.

On October 2, Kaufman said Saadi Gadhafi “strenuously denies the charges made against him” in the red notice.

Gadhafi “worked tirelessly to promote football in Libya, priding himself on the fact that Libya was formerly selected to host the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations,” Kaufman said then.

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi — another of the former strongman’s sons — also was named in an Interpol arrest warrant. His whereabouts remain unknown.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Treasure of Benghazi bank vault raided

October 31, 2011

The Telegraph on October 31, 2011 released the following:

“A priceless collection of nearly 8,000 ancient gold, silver and bronze coins was stolen by robbers who broke into a bank vault in the Libyan city of Benghazi.

The theft of the so-called Treasure of Benghazi, much of which dates from the time of Alexander the Great, is believed to have been one of the biggest in archaeological history.

Interpol has been alerted about the theft, which took place in March. Libya’s National Transitional Council is believed to have kept it quiet for fear of tarnishing their image at a time when they were engaged in a desperate battle for survival against the regime of Col Muammar Gaddafi.

Details of the robbery emerged at a conference held by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO, held in Paris last week.

Metal storage cupboards at the National Commercial Bank of Benghazi were smashed open and the red wax seals on the wooden trunks housing the collection were broken after the gang drilled through a concrete ceiling.

The gang had concentrated on the ancient treasures, leaving items of lesser value untouched, according to The Sunday Times.

As well as 7,700 coins the haul included jewellery, medallions, bracelets, anklets, necklaces, earrings, precious stones, rings and gold armbands. Small monuments and figurines of bronze, glass and ivory were also stolen.

The treasure was excavated between 1917 and 1922 from the temple of Artemis in an ancient Roman city in Cyrene, near Benghazi.

UNESCO chief Irina Bokova described the theft as a “disaster”.

Hafed Walada, a Libyan archaeologist based at King’s College, London, said: “I have the feeling this must have been an inside job. The treasure was there for many years, not many people knew about it, and the robbers even ignored cash that was in the vault.

“In terms of Libya’s historical heritage, this was a major theft.”

In the months since it happened ancient gold coins have turned up repeatedly in Benghazi’s gold market, and in Egypt a farmer was caught with a three inch high gold figurine and 503 coins which may have come from the collection.

UNESCO has warned art dealers and police forces around the world to look out for pieces from the Treasure of Benghazi.

A fact-finding trip in September by UNESCO experts found that Libya’s rich historical heritage suffered little damage during the nine-month war, in part because Nato worked with experts to avoid bombing archaeological sites.

But with the country awash with guns and armed men, and little sign of authority, they are concerned that Roman, Greek and Phoenician sites on Libyan soil, some of the finest in the ancient world, could now be at risk from looters.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


Gaddafi son denies Interpol allegations

October 3, 2011

The Times of India on October 3, 2011 released the following:

“TRIPOLI: Muammar Gaddafi’s son, al-Saadi, denied allegations of corruption and intimidation and called Interpol’s decision to put him on the equivalent of its most-wanted list political, according to an email.

Al-Saadi Gaddafi is under house arrest in Libyan neighbor Niger, where he fled after Tripoli fell to revolutionary forces. His father and two of his brothers are in hiding, presumably inside Libya, as fighting between revolutionary forces and Gaddafi loyalists continues on three fronts.

Al-Saadi “regrets the issue of a red notice by Interpol and strenuously denies the charges made against him,” an email forwarded Sunday to The Associated Press said.

Interpol issued a red notice for al-Saadi last week based on accusations he misappropriated property and engaged in “armed intimidation” when he headed the Libyan Football Federation. He also was a special forces commander and is the subject of UN sanctions for commanding military units involved in repression of demonstrations.

The international police agency said the notice was issued in response to a request by the Libya’s National Transitional Council, which has assumed leadership of the North African nation. Niger, which borders Libya on the south and long benefited from Gaddafi’s largesse, has said it would study the question.

In the email, al-Saadi called the Interpol notice a “clear political decision to recognize the de jure authority of the National Transitional Council taken without appropriate regard to the current absence of a functioning, effective and fair system of justice in Libya.”

It said al-Saadi “worked tirelessly to promote football in Libya, priding himself on the fact that Libya was formerly selected to host the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations.” It added that Gaddafi’s son “continues to call on all sides to seek a negotiated and peaceful resolution to the present conflict.”

The South African Football Association has signed an agreement with Libya’s post-Gaddafi football federation to host the 2013 African Cup of Nations, while Libya will stage the 2017 games.

The email was relayed to the AP on Sunday by defense attorney Nick Kaufman, who has been involved in a number of international criminal cases. Kaufman said he was contacted by an intermediary he identified as al-Saadi’s press secretary, Jackie Frazier.

Al-Saadi fled to Niger in mid-September along with several other regime loyalists, including some generals.

Interpol also has issued red notices for Muammar Gaddafi and his son Seif al-Islam upon request by the Hague-based International Criminal Court. Both men have been charged with crimes against humanity.

Interpol had urged authorities in Niger and surrounding countries — and those with direct flights to Niger — to watch out for and arrest Gaddafi “with a view to returning him to Libya” for prosecution.

Interpol’s red notices are the highest-level alerts they can issue to their member countries. The notices do not force countries to turn over suspects but strongly urge them to, and countries who ignore such notices can come under pressure from the international community.

Gadhafi’s eight adult children have played influential roles in Libya, from commanding an elite military unit to controlling the oil sector. Al-Saadi, 38, headed the Libyan Football Federation, and at one point played in Italy’s professional league but spent most of his time on the bench.

Another Gadhafi son is with his daughter Aisha and wife in neighboring Algeria — along with other family members — while Khamis Gaddafi, who led the Khamis Brigade that fought in the west, was reportedly killed in battle, although that was never confirmed.

Libya’s new rulers have gained control of most of the country, but revolutionary forces still face fierce resistance in Gadhafi’s hometown of Sirte, Bani Walid and pockets in the southern desert. NATO recent extended its mission, although the top US commander for Africa said Saturday that the military mission is largely complete.

Army Gen Carter Ham, head of US Africa command said that the National Transitional Council and its forces should be in “reasonable control” of population centers before the end of the NATO mission, dubbed Unified Protector. And he said they are close to that now.”

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Bookmark and Share