Libya says Mauritania agrees Senussi extradition

March 20, 2012

Reuters on March 20, 2012 released the following:

“By Laurent Prieur and Hadeel al Shachi

(Reuters) – Mauritania has agreed that Muammar Gaddafi’s intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senussi, arrested in Nouakchott last week, can be extradited to Libya, Libya’s deputy prime minister said.

The decision, if implemented, sets Libya on a collision course with France and the international war crimes court in The Hague, which also want Senussi, Gaddafi’s right-hand man before the Libyan dictator’s overthrow and death in a popular revolt last year.

“I have met the President of Mauritania and he agreed to the extradition of Senussi to Libya,” Libyan Deputy Prime Minister Mustafa Abu Shagour wrote on Twitter on Tuesday in a comment conformed as official by a Libyan government representative.

Senussi, whose whereabouts had been unclear for months, was arrested at Mauritania’s Nouakchott airport late on Friday when he stepped off a flight from Morocco.

A senior Libyan delegation to Mauritania feted President Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz for his “brave stance” in arresting Senussi and during talks at his presidency stressed that Senussi should be extradited to Libya.

“We greatly appreciate the position of the president who promised us that good will come of this matter,” said a statement attributed to Shagour earlier and issued by Mauritania’s official news agency AMI.

France and the International Criminal Court also want Senussi. The ICC has indicted him for crimes against humanity, while he is also alleged to have had a role in the 1989 bombing of an airliner in which 54 French nationals died.

“We want Senussi to be extradited to France. We feel we owe it to the victims’ families and to justice,” French Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero said of a step that would allow France to confirm the life sentence already handed down to Senussi in absentia by a French court.

LOCKERBIE BOMBING

Separately, diplomatic sources said the United States – which on Monday confirmed it had contacts with Mauritania over Senussi – had requested access to him before any transfer.

“The Americans put in a request to Mauritanian authorities yesterday (Monday) morning to be able to meet Senussi while he is still in Mauritania, said one diplomatic source. A second diplomat also confirmed the request had been made.

No comment was immediately available either from the Mauritanian or U.S. governments.

Senussi’s name has been linked to the 1988 bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland of a Pan Am jet that killed 270 people. A State Department spokeswoman said on Monday the United States had long expressed an interest in talking to him about it.

Human rights groups doubt Senussi, 62, will have a fair trial in Libya and have called for his transfer to the ICC.

Amnesty International described the Libyan judicial system as “paralyzed”, noting it had not successfully investigated the death of prisoners in rebel detention or high-profile cases like the death of former military chief Abdel-Fattah Younis.

“The Libyan judiciary has done nothing. It has held no one accountable and has not investigated a single case yet,” Amnesty’s Donatella Rovera told Reuters.

However, Deputy Justice Minister Khalifa Faraj Ashour told Reuters in Tripoli the former intelligence chief would be tried fairly in his home country.

“Security is good, the courts are working fine in almost all of the country,” he said. “Even if there is a security breach once in a while, we can deal with it.”

“HIDDEN MONEY”

Ashour said it was too early to discuss what charges Senussi could face in Libya. Interpol has issued a Red Notice for him at Libya’s request for fraud offences including embezzling public funds and misuse of power for personal benefit.

“In general, we can say one of the crimes is financial corruption. He knows a lot about hidden money,” Ashour said.

Senussi is also suspected of a key role in the killing of more than 1,200 inmates at Tripoli’s Abu Salim prison in 1996. It was the arrest of a lawyer for victims’ relatives that sparked Libya’s Arab Spring revolt in February last year.

“Senussi being handed over to Libya and tried here would be a great support for the Libyan revolution and the country’s courts,” Ashour said. “You have to realize that he committed many other crimes in Libya before the revolution.”

According to Mauritanian security sources, Senussi, who for decades was hated and feared by many ordinary Libyans, is being held in the main police training school in Nouakchott.

The sources said the facility – which is surrounded by a high wall blocking all view from outside – was the only one which could keep Senussi in sufficient security while affording him a degree of comfort.

According to two sources, a team of military doctors including Aziz’s personal medic performed a medical check on Senussi on Sunday while he was still being held at a residence in the grounds of Nouakchott’s international conference centre.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas C. McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.


INTERPOL Red Notice issued for Gaddafi’s former spy chief Al-Senussi at Libya’s request

March 19, 2012

INTERPOL on March 18, 2012 released the following:

“LYON, France – At Libya’s request, INTERPOL has issued a Red Notice for Colonel Gaddafi’s former director of military intelligence, Abdullah Al-Senussi for fraud offences including embezzling public funds and misuse of power for personal benefit.

The international wanted persons alert for the 62-year-old has been circulated to all 190 INTERPOL member countries and is in addition to the Red Notice issued at the request of the International Criminal Court for Al-Senussi in September 2011 for crimes against humanity.

Following the issue of the ICC Red Notice for Al-Senussi, INTERPOL’s Fugitive Investigative Support (FIS) unit had liaised closely with North and West African countries in order to ensure that border control points were alerted to his wanted status.

Libya’s request for a Red Notice, which comes just days after their Minister of the Interior Fawzi Altaher Abdulaali addressed INTERPOL’s Heads of National Central Bureaus conference, was welcomed by INTERPOL Secretary General Ronald K. Noble.

“INTERPOL has committed itself to supporting Libya’s efforts to achieve its goal of rebuilding their country and being guided by the rule of law, and clearly their request for an INTERPOL Red Notice for Al-Senussi is a clear demonstration of their commitment to international police cooperation and justice,” said Mr Noble.

“Targeting and arresting those involved in embezzling funds and making them accountable for their actions before the courts will help Libya achieve its goal,” added the INTERPOL Chief.

INTERPOL’s FIS unit, officers from the Middle East and North Africa sub-directorate and the 24-hour Command and Coordination Centre at the General Secretariat headquarters are continuing to liaise closely with the ICC and all involved National Central Bureaus including Nouakchott where Al-Senussi was reportedly arrested.

Since March 2011, through the publication of Orange Notice global alerts against a number of Libyan nationals, including members of Colonel Gaddafi’s family and close associates, INTERPOL has been warning member states of the danger posed by the movement of these individuals and their assets following the sanctions established by United Nations Security Council resolutions 1970 and 1973 (2011).”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.