Gadhafi’s son challenges Interpol warrant

CNN on November 2, 2011 released the following:

“From Nic Robertson, CNN

(CNN) — One of slain Libyan strongman Moammar Gadhafi’s surviving sons is challenging an Interpol arrest warrant on the grounds that it is politically motivated and was sought by a new Libyan leadership that lacks legitimacy, a lawyer for Saadi Gadhafi said Wednesday.

Through his lawyer, the younger Gadhafi previously denied allegations in the Interpol warrant issued in late September that accused him of “misappropriating properties through force and armed intimidation when he headed the Libyan Football Federation.”

Gadhafi is in Niger. His father and three other brothers have been killed and another brother remains in hiding, while his other siblings escaped to Algeria during the Libyan conflict.

Nick Kaufman, Gadhafi’s lawyer, told CNN that he asked the Interpol secretary general to revoke the arrest warrant — known as a “red notice” — on grounds that it violates two articles of the Interpol constitution.

Kaufman said the red notice violates Article 3 because the decision to issue the red notice was purely political as Interpol “knows or ought to know” that Libya’s National Transitional Council “is purging the Gadhafi family in persecutory circumstances.”

“It is also a decision taken in the full knowledge that the NTC has no functioning judicial system to speak of which can ensure a fair trial,” Kaufman said. Moammar Gadhafi was captured and killed by opposition forces last month.

In addition, Kaufman said, the red notice violates Article 4 because the NTC “does not have a legitimate representative body at Interpol” with the authority to request a red notice.

On October 2, Kaufman said Saadi Gadhafi “strenuously denies the charges made against him” in the red notice.

Gadhafi “worked tirelessly to promote football in Libya, priding himself on the fact that Libya was formerly selected to host the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations,” Kaufman said then.

Saif al-Islam Gadhafi — another of the former strongman’s sons — also was named in an Interpol arrest warrant. His whereabouts remain unknown.”

————————————————————–

Douglas McNabb – McNabb Associates, P.C.’s
INTERPOL Red Notice Removal Lawyers Videos:

INTERPOL Notice Removal

INTERPOL’s Red Notice

————————————————————–

To find additional global criminal news, please read The Global Criminal Defense Daily.

Douglas McNabb and other members of the U.S. law firm practice and write and/or report extensively on matters involving Federal Criminal Defense, INTERPOL Red Notice Removal, International Extradition and OFAC SDN Sanctions Removal.

The author of this blog is Douglas McNabb. Please feel free to contact him directly at mcnabb@mcnabbassociates.com or at one of the offices listed above.

Comments are closed.